Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Curried Sweet Potato

This dish probably won't win any beauty contests, but I'm here to tell you, it is completely unmissable. The curry itself is a thick mash of deliciousness. Also, it's really easy to make. Also, it's a super healthy dinner. Is there anything better? (sidenote: I swear, none of this enthusiasm is sarcastic or exaggerated) This recipe comes from the lovely folks over at Epicurious. I've never heard of Harley Pasternack, but if this recipe is any indication, he's a darn fine cook.

The curry itself is a really nice balance of sweet and spicy, and marries really well with some cilantro chutney. Unfortunately, I didn't make either the chutney or the paratha myself. However, if you follow either of those links, they will take you to the blog of my Indian cooking guru. Watching her videos is not only good for your cooking, it is good for your soul. Honestly, she is the gold standard of vegetarian Indian cooking.

Recipe (serves 2-3):
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large sweet potato, mostly peeled and diced up small
- 3/4 c. skim milk (though you night need more)
- 1/2 c. nonfat yogurt
- 2 1/2 tsp. lime juice
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil

Directions:
1) Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and fry until golden brown.
2) Add curry paste, cumin and cinnamon and stir to combine. If the curry paste is on the dry side, add a bit of water. Saute for 30 seconds.
3) Add sweet potato and cook for 2 minutes. If the potato starts to stick, add a bit of water to the pan. Add salt and pepper
4) Add milk. Simmer for 12 minutes. Feel free to splash some more milk into the pan if it looks like it is getting dried out. Stir it fairly often. By the end of the 12 minutes, the milk will have thickened considerably and the potatoes will be tender. If neither or those things have happened, let it sit a bit longer.
5) Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender. Add yogurt and lime juice. Puree it until most of the lumps are gone.
6) Serve with cilantro chutney and warm bread.

Seriously, it is ridiculously good.

Until our next dinner,
ceh.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog via Twitter. I'm a lessmeatatarian too. Though I've always called myself a social carnivore, meaning I eat meat at other people's houses, or when friends and family demand I cook something with meat in it.

    The curried sweet potato sounds great. Wonder how it would be made with the butternut squash I have on hand. (I'm also a lessrecipeatarian.)

    Thanks for the idea.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete