Friday, September 16, 2011

Mirepoix Or What are Your Essential Flavors?

So I've come to a realization with this blog.  The vast majority of my recipes start with three ingredients: onion, garlic and serrano peppers.  I was starting to feel self-conscious about the relative homogeneity of my recipes.  But then, I remembered the concept of Mirepoix in French cooking.  Basically, three aromatic ingredients are the basis of a large swath of French cooking.  Those ingredients are onions, carrots and celery.

I've since learned that other flavor bases exist in cuisines around the world.  In Spanish cooking, onion, garlic and tomato make a base that is referred to as sofrito.  There is the "holy trinity" of Creole cooking which is onions, celery and bell peppers.

So maybe these three ingredients are the flavor base of my kitchen.  To be honest, I'm kind of okay with that.

So, my question, dear readers is this; what are your essential flavors?  What are the ingredients that form the basis of your cooking?  What do you always reach for when starting to cook?  Leave your answers below in comments, because I'm dreadfully curious.

More recipes next week, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment