Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dried Cherry/Peanut Butter Breakfast Treats

I have never been a huge fan of breakfast. It's just never been my thing. If I do have breakfast it's almost always granola and yogurt. But this recipe, my friends, might just change all of that. These are sometimes called "breakfast cookies," but they are really nothing like cookies. I've opted to just call them breakfast treats. The recipe is extremely flexible and almost anything about it can be altered to suit your tastes. I've been having mine in the mornings with a couple of scoops of Greek yogurt, so I guess not all that much has changed...

This was a totally experimental cooking adventure, so if you know of ways to make these tastier, please leave any ideas in the comments.

Recipe (Makes 6-8 treats):

1/2 c. peanut butter

1/2 c. honey

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. rolled oats

1/2 c. whole wheat flour

1/3 c. milk

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1 c. dried sour cherries

3/4 c. crushed cashews and pecans


Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2) Mix together peanut butter, honey and vanilla.
3) Add milk to the above mixture.
4) In a separate bowl, mix together nuts, dried fruit, oats, baking soda, oats and flour.
5) Mix together wet and dry ingredients.
6) Place the mixture by spoonfuls on a greased baking sheet
7) Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the scoops.
8) Let treats cool completely before storing.

Feel free to experiment, and let me know how it goes!

Until our next breakfast,
ceh.

No comments:

Post a Comment